To deliver innovative solutions in plant breeding at the speed required by growers and consumers, collaboration between industry players is essential. At time when farmers face more pressures than ever before, we need to find progressive ways of making our beneficial traits and technologies accessible to plant breeders around the world. We are opening up our research and breeding programs in order to advance the industry as a whole.
As a founding member of the International Licensing Platform, we are working together in new ways with our industry partners to improve access to patented vegetable traits. Through our own TraitAbility website, we are going even further by facilitating the exchange of know-how and material, as well as helping to ensure freedom to operate for plant breeders.
Syngenta's TraitAbility website provides quick and easy access to our patented Native Traits, Enabling Technologies and Genetics in order to improve plant breeding and increase innovation in agriculture. This will help ensure that companies large and small can develop the diverse crop varieties farmers require.
Currently, obtaining licenses for proprietary traits and technologies can be a lengthy and costly process, especially for small companies. That is why we have set up an efficient, easy-to-use licensing process: plant breeders, companies and public research institutes can access many of our most important plant-related innovations under transparent and FRAND (Fair, Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory) conditions.
With our new TraitAbility e-licensing system, financial terms are clear, no negotiation is necessary and we ensure a fair sharing of benefits (i.e. added value) between patent owner, grower and licensee. We hope our e-license system will revolutionize access and increase uptake of our Native Traits and Enabling Technologies to help farmers around the world.
Key elements of the e-license system include:
- Easy and quick access to licenses online – no need for lengthy and complex negotiations
- Transparency of FRAND licensing conditions, applicable to all plant breeders or other parties interested in a license
- Accessibility to a portfolio of patented Enabling Technologies that support plant breeders in their development of better and higher yielding varieties of any crop, including: Free research license for academic or non-for-profit parties & Standard license agreement for other entities, with commercial terms adapted for small, medium and large entity sizes.
- Accessibility to a portfolio of patented native traits present in Syngenta’s commercial vegetables varieties, including: Transparency of Syngenta commercial varieties that contain the patented traits & "Free access" for licensed Native Traits during development and breeding of new varieties.
- Royalty payment only due if the newly developed and commercialized variety contains the patented Native Trait.
Please explore our website and feel free to provide feedback or questions Contact Us. We look forward to sharing our technologies with you to achieve our collective goal of improving breeding and innovation in agriculture.